If you are like most people, you like being able to save money. While home security is important, it is still nice to have a bit of “wiggle” room in the budget each month. To save money, you may be tempted to post a sign in your yard that states your home is protected by a certain alarm system.
However, before doing this, you need to find out if this is enough to deter burglars.
Any Sign Is Better Than No Sign
The truth is, having a security sign in your yard can make a burglar think twice before targeting your home. Remember, a thief is an opportunist. They want to get away with what they can, as easily and quickly as possible. If you have a security system in place, or if you have a sign that makes a burglar think you do, they may skip your house and choose one without this same perceived protection.
While you may want the benefit of security without making an investment, just posting signs in your yard does have some potential pitfalls.
Risks Related to Only Relying on Security Signs
If you try to “fake out” the bad guys, you need to be careful. While the sign may be better than nothing at all, it isn’t better by that much. Using a fake sign is going to add new risks. For example:
· You develop a false sense of security.
· There’s no alert of a problem if someone does break in.
· No clues that will help you catch a thief.
· It indicates your home or property is worth protecting, which may make it a bigger target.
Better Security Strategies to Try
While any security step you take will make an impact, there are some that are more effective than others. If you have a limited budget, consider trying these methods of protection:
· Landscaping: Keep bushes and trees trimmed and be sure there is a clean line of sight to all doors and windows.
· Lights: Keep things well-lit, which will be an automatic turn-off to burglars.
· Install a security system: There are an array of affordable security systems available today and they are worth investing in.
As you can see, while a yard sign may be better than nothing, it does come with risks when it comes to the safety and security of your home. A better option is to invest in one of the affordable security systems that are available today.