When Thanksgiving rolls around this year, the biggest problem should be if there is enough turkey and gravy to go around. If you want to protect your home and family this year, there are a few steps you need to take. Security should be considered carefully to ensure that regardless of if you stay home or visit relatives in another location, your home is protected from all those Thanksgiving thieves.
Security Tips if You Are Staying Home
If you are planning to stay home for Thanksgiving this year, you may think your home will be safe. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. For example, did you know that Thanksgiving is the number one day for home-cooking fires?
To protect yourself, your family, and your home, use these tips:
· Install or test your smoke alarms
· Remove all potential fire hazards
· Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen
· Use caution when using a turkey fryer
· Avoid gas issues
· Be prepared if a fire occurs
Security Tips if You Are Traveling
Millions of people around the country choose to travel and visit other people during Thanksgiving. If you have plans to do this, you want to ensure your home is fully protected while you are away. If you plan to travel this Thanksgiving, use these security tips:
· Install a quality home security system
· Do not post about your travel plans via social media
· Install and use timers on your lights
· Turn landline phone ringers down
· Stop your newspaper and mail delivery
· Lock your doors and windows
· Do not leave a key outside your home
Thanksgiving is one of the best times of the year to enjoy what you have and in 2020, it is something everyone needs. However, you still have to take steps to protect yourself and your home. The tips here will help you do just that.