As temperatures begin to go up, so does the likelihood that your home will be burglarized. With so many warm days ahead, there’s a lot going on – people have things to do and places to go. While most people look forward to enjoying the fresh air and time off during summer vacation, you may not realize there’s an increased risk of car theft and break-ins this time of the year.
Why Do Burglaries Increase During the Summer?
During the summer, you are more likely to be out and about. For example, people enjoy:
· Family reunions
· Increased outdoor activities
Some of the other key elements that lead to more burglaries and break-ins include:
· Keeping your home’s windows open to reduce AC use and keep air circulating through your house.
· Not locking the screen door.
· Leaving your car running when you enter a store.
· Leaving your car windows open.
· Leaving your garage door open for longer periods of time.
What Can You Do to Protect Your Home and Car?
There are several steps you can take to protect your home and vehicle this summer. These steps include:
· Lock your garage: While your garage gets quite a bit of activity during the summer because it holds your lawn tools, bikes, and sports equipment, you still need to lock it when you aren’t using it.
· Clean up yard clutter and your driveway: If you have items laying in your yard and driveway it means there are people and going. Burglars may begin to watch your house to see patterns and when people are away. If you leave clutter outside for several days, a burglar may take it as a sign that there is no one home to clean up.
· Keep doors and windows secure: It is essential to close and lock your doors and windows any time you aren’t home. According to statistics, it takes just 12 minutes for someone to burglarize your house.
· Shut your vehicle’s engine off: It only takes a second to run inside and pay for your gas, but you should always turn the engine off, shut the door, and lock your car if you aren’t it in.
· Invest in home security and anti-theft devices for your vehicle: Now is the time to invest in a security system for your home and vehicle. This is going to ensure it remains safe and sound, even if you are away.
If you want to have a great summer, make sure you use the tips and advice found here. It will help ensure your home and vehicle are secure.