One of the worst events you can experience is a homeowner is arriving home to find you have been burglarized. After all, you home is supposed to be your “safe place” and the location where you feel most secure. When this situation occurs, you may wonder what to do and where to turn. While it can be a difficult situation, there are certain steps you should take to restore your home’s security and your peace of mind.
What to Do Within 24-Hours of a Home Break-In
At this point, your home is considered an active crime scene. While it may be tempting to pick up the mess the burglar made, you should resist this temptation. If you do this, you may destroy any evidence they left behind. Instead, take the following steps:
· Call the police to file a report
· Review the footage on your security camera and give it to the police
· If you don’t have a security camera, take photos of the scene
· Create a list of anything missing
· Call your insurance company
Steps to Take One Week After a Home Burglary
If it has been several days since your home was broken into, you can likely take a few other steps. This includes:
· Boarding up and securing any broken doors or windows
· Review the footage on your security system one more time
· Call to have a security system installed to restore your peace of mind
There is no question that a break in can be devastating. Not only will you lose valuable items, but you will also lose your peace of mind. Knowing the steps to take after a break in will help you secure your home and family.